Who’s ready for some sugar? My super easy vegan cupcakes are sure to satisfy everyone’s sweet tooth. Just in time for Easter!
Hello, dreamers! I hope you’re in the mood for some cupcakes because I have the best recipe for you. In addition to being 100% delicious – they’re also 100% vegan. With Easter on its way, I thought it was the perfect time to share this recipe to help sugar-up your holiday.
After I went vegan last February, Easter was the first big holiday that sprung up that left me feeling a bit *womp womp* about the whole thing. It’s not that I was sad over the loss of cheese – but instead, over the loss of classic Easter treats like creamy milk chocolate, those highly addictive Reese’s Peanut Butter eggs and all the amazing sweets from the local bakery.
So, I took matters into my own hands and developed a recipe for super tasty vegan cupcakes that will satisfy my own sweet tooth. Naturally.
Because Everyone Loves Vegan Cupcakes!
That’s right! Literally everyone loves this recipe – even if they don’t know they’re vegan. I’ve whipped these up for birthdays, holidays and just any ole time and they’re truly the perfect cupcake for any occasion. Sugary sweet, light, fluffy – and highly addictive.
The best part? They’re super simple to make! You just put everything in a bowl, blend and voila – you’re done. It’s that easy.
I know I know, Easter’s still a few weeks away but I simply couldn’t wait!
Last weekend I whipped up a batch of cupcakes and have been thoroughly enjoying noshing up on them through the week. This recipe will yield you a dozen vegan cupcakes, but the frosting is enough for a double recipe. So if you have a big family gathering, you can safely double up the cupcakes without any worry of running out of frosting.
When I make the vegan frosting, I always like to make enough for a couple of things. After icing these cupcakes, I simply scooped up the rest into a glass container and stowed away in the fridge. The leftover frosting will last a good amount of time and is perfect to throw on things like my favorite sugar cookies or even these insanely delicious cinnamon rolls by Minimalist Baker. (One of my favorite vegan blogs, btw.)
I say, if you’re going to the trouble to make vegan frosting – you may as well make lots! *wink*
Now, are you reading to get baking?
Easy Vegan Cupcake Recipe
Vegan Cupcake Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups of non-dairy milk (coconut, soy, almond)
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- vegan sprinkles
Vegan Frosting Ingredients
- 3/4 cup vegan butter (I use the Earth Balance butter sticks)
- 3/4 cup of vegetable shortening (I use Crisco)
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- food coloring
Easter Vegan Cupcakes Directions!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine non-dairy milk with 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. Allow to set for 3-5 minutes.
- After your milk and vinegar mixture has settled, add sugar, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Mix together.
- To your creamed wet ingredients, add flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix together thoroughly until smooth.
- Line your cupcake baking pan with cupcake papers – or, if you prefer, grease with cooking spray.
- Using a measuring cup, pour about 1/3 a cup of the cupcake batter into each cupcake mold. The recipe should yield you 12 perfectly sized cupcakes.
- *Optional* If you want to make your cupcakes “funfetti” style, simply add sprinkles to your batter. I also like to sprinkle some on top before baking – just for fun, really.
- Bake your vegan cupcakes at 350 degrees for 22-25 minutes. Cool about 10 minutes before icing.
Time to Make the Vegan Frosting:
- While your vegan cupcakes are baking away, you can get a head start on the frosting! Start by creaming together your vegan butter, vegetable shortening and vanilla extract.
- Next, add in your powdered sugar. I like to blend in about a cup at a time. Simply add the sugar, then cream with a mixer. Add more sugar, mix. Etc. You’ll be left with a beautiful, sugary frosting that’s smooth and DELICIOUS.
- Following the directions on the box, use the food coloring to create your desired color. I went for purple and pink frosting….but I’ve also made the cupcakes before plain white with colorful sprinkles. Whatever floats your boat!
And that’s it! In well under an hour, you’ll be indulging in sugary sweet vegan cupcakes that are virtually impossible to resist. I’m definitely going to be making more of these for Easter – and probably every holiday hereafter. Cupcakes are truly a great crowd pleaser and put everyone in a good mood.
Simply put, a cupcake is always a good idea.
Be Sure to Come Back for More!
Dream in Lace shares new blog posts every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday at 4 pm! Also, be sure to Join My Mailing list for an exclusive weekly feature that you won’t see here!
Stay stylish and keep chasing your dreams!