Be it for the holidays or just because – this vegan apple buckle recipe is warm, satisfying and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
Who doesn’t love a great seasonal dessert around the holidays? One that feels like a warm hug from the oven.
Accompanied by cranberries, this vegan apple buckle recipe is spot on perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas celebrations – or even just because as there’s no need to make special excuses for bringing tasty treats into your life.
This recipe originally found its way into my life while watching Selena + Chef on HBO Max.
If you caught my review of the Rare Beauty Perfect Strokes mascara, you’ll know how much I’ve come to love the show and its inviting format of top chefs around the country teaching Selena Gomez some of their favorite recipes over Zoom.
Spiced Vegan Apple Buckle Recipe
When the multi-talented singer and chef Kelis whipped up Rosemary and Cranberry Apple Buckle in the Selena + Chef season two finale, I instantly knew I had to concoct a vegan-friendly version for my own tastebuds to enjoy.
I’m a devout fan of Apple Pie and Apple Crisp, after all.
The problem? There’s definitely more work involved in preparing pie dough and crumble topping from scratch. Cutting in the butter alone always wears my wrists out! A vegan apple buckle recipe seemed like an appealing way to capture those beloved seasonal flavors in a less time-consuming way that is every bit as delicious.
Taking inspiration from Kelis’s original recipe, I modified the buckle to use dairy-free ingredients. I also spiced things up by adding in ground nutmeg and cloves — two of my favorite flavors around the holidays.
Additionally, I cut the amount of butter Kelis called for in half — making this vegan Apple Buckle recipe somewhat healthier without sacrificing any of its flavor or festive goodness.
Perfect for holiday celebrations, enjoy my Spiced Vegan Apple Buckle Recipe below and let me know if you whip this up! I’d love to know what you think.
Spiced Vegan Apple Buckle Recipe with Cranberries and Rosemary
PREP TIME: 15 minutes TOTAL COOK TIME: 60 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups raw sugar cane
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Leaves from 2 sprigs of Rosemary
- 6 tart apples (i.e. honey crisp or granny smith)
- 1 stick non-dairy butter like Earth Balance
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350º and add 10-inch iron skillet to center rack for heating
- PREPARE BATTER: Combine flour, rosemary leaves, baking powder, vanilla extract, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in the almond milk then set aside.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat
- Add stick of non-dairy butter to melt.
- Once butter is melted, add in the chopped apples, cranberries, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until everything has softened and slightly caramelized.
- From the oven, remove the heated iron skillet and spray with non-dairy cooking spray.
- Pour batter into the pan’s center, spread and fully coat the pan.
- Spoon the fruit mixture into the batter. Add pockets evenly throughout the iron skillet with some batter shining through.
- Bake on the center rack of your oven for ~40 minutes, until the apple buckle starts to brown and the batter is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let set for 5 minutes before serving.
Thank you for reading!
Wishing you and your loved ones a warm holiday season.
In the Mood for More Festive Baking?
Join the #DreamSquad:
Sign up for the weekly newsletter and receive exclusive dreamer content you won’t find on DREAMINLACE.com straight in your inbox. Let’s be dreamers, together!
Stay stylish and chase your dreams!