Meet the lentil salad recipe I literally can’t get enough of this summer!
Hello there, dreamers, and welcome to another episode of “In the Kitchen” with Kelly. Today’s a bit different as I’m not revealing one of my own recipes — but instead a Bon Appetit Lentil Salad recipe my family and I literally cannot get enough of this summer. We’ve been noshing on this poolside day after day and it’s one I think we’ll continue to make for years.
I originally came across this Bon Appetit recipe on Instagram when Sea of Shoes was making it at her home. My eyes were glued to my screen and I knew I simply had to give it a try myself. Turns out? It’s my favorite recipe of the summer this year and one I’ll be hanging onto indefinitely!
Favorite Lentil Salad Recipe from Bon Appetit
I think what makes this particular Lentil Salad recipe so special is the infused oil that serves as the base for the citrus dressing. In a pan, I saute together an almond mixture with lemon peels, garlic, olive oil, cumin seeds and a dash of red pepper flakes. After a few minutes, I strain off the oil — holding onto it for the dressing — and serve the rest as a crunchy add-on in the salad.
I do have a bit of a warning, though. While delicious, this lentil salad recipe is not one I’d recommend for those weeknights when you need to throw something together quickly for dinner. The flavors are at their strongest when you let them marinade together, so my family and I have taken to having this on weekends. It’s the perfect meal for pool parties as well as enjoyed as leftovers on weeknights. To make it all that much easier, I’ve even taken to cooking the lentils in advance and chilling them overnight in the fridge. Same with the almond topping and infused oil.
By getting those things prepped and out of the way, the assembly is really rather simple! The lentil salad will also be BURSTING with flavor.
Plant-Based Eaters: If you follow a plant-based diet like me, I recommend swapping out the traditional feta cheese for VioLife’s vegan feta (available at Whole Foods). It’s such a creamy, dairy-free alternative.
Lentil Salad Recipe from Bon Appetit
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 1/2 cup raw almonds (I use sliced)
- 1 bundle of scallions (chop whites and stems, separately)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups French green lentils
- 1 Tbsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 Tsp. crushed red peppers flakes
- 5 oz. feta (I use VioLife’s vegan option)
- 1 cup green olives
Optional: I’ve taken to adding roasted tomatoes to the salad as well. You can find those pre-made at your local grocery or make them yourself, tossed in olive oil and roasted at 425° for ~ 30 minutes.
How I Make It:
- Lentils: Add lentils to pot of boiling water and cook for 23 minutes. Once done, toss in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil, season with fresh ground pepper and chill in the refrigerator.
- Almond Mixture: Saute minced garlic, the whites of your scallions (with stems set aside) and the peel of 1 lemon over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup olive oil and slivered almonds. Saute for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in cumin seeds and red pepper flakes. Drain off the oil, reserving for salad dressing and spread almond mixture out on parchment paper to cool. The longer it sits, the more crunchy and flavorful it will be so I like prepping that the day before or in the morning.
- De-stem and clean your kale. Chop and massage for 2 minutes to release juices and soften the texture.
- Toss in the chopped stems of your scallions as well as chopped olives and feta cheese.
- Add lentils and almond mixture.
- Toss with the juice of 1 lemon and the infused olive oil that was previously set aside.
- Enjoy! I find this serves best with a slice of hearty bread on the side and a glass of white wine. Yum!
Join the #DreamSquad:
Sign up for my weekly newsletter to receive exclusive dreamer content you won’t find on DreaminLace straight in your inbox. Let’s be dreamers, together!
Stay stylish and chase your dreams!