An easy 30-minute lentil tacos recipe that’s loaded with flavor, plant-based and great for weeknights!
Hello there and happy Thursday! Today we’re stepping into the kitchen again to discuss TACOS. More specifically? The Vegetable and Lentil Tacos recipe I came up with on the spot this Tuesday when I simply couldn’t get tacos off my mind.
Vegetable and Lentil Tacos Recipe
Sometimes you get a craving that you can’t ignore! With tacos in mind, I started thinking about what I had on hand in the pantry and fridge this week. I wanted to whip something tasty up after work that would be loaded with flavor but also not totally wear me out. After all, 2020 is exhausting enough without a super complicated recipe.
Usually for Mexican-inspired dishes I turn to black beans, but for this recipe I really wanted to use red lentils instead. So I set out to get creative and prepare a lentil tacos recipe that’s filled with protein, nutrients and lots of flavor! As things simmered, I admit I was a little bit skeptic. I figured things would either turn out really well — or badly. Well, I’m glad to say things fortunately turned out for the better! The filling was delicious and is one I’ll definitely be turning to again and again.
On the off-chance you too are a taco lover and on the hunt for a new recipe that can easily pulled together after work, I wanted to share with you how my newest recipe creation!
This lentil tacos recipe is:
- Plant-based / vegan approved
- Great for weeknights, taking 30 minutes to prepare from start-to-finish
- Packed with nutrients
- Perfect for Taco Tuesday!
Easy, Weeknight Lentil Tacos Recipe
Total Cook Time: 30 minutes
Taco Filling Ingredients:
- 1 cup red lentils
- Olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 lime
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- Optional: Additional veggies (I used leftover red bell pepper and mushrooms I had on hand)
As these are tacos, you’ll also definitely need corn or white flour tortillas for serving and any additional toppings you like! (Guacamole is a must for me next time.)
- Boil hot water and cook red lentils as instructed by the packaging. (Typically by simmering for 15 minutes.)
- About 10 minutes into the lentils cooking, start on a vegetable mixture! Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat with olive oil. Add minced garlic, diced onion and all of your seasonings. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add any additional diced vegetables you’d like to the pan. Stir and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the cooked red lentils, then add to those to the saute pan with 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes and the juice of 1/2 a lime.
- Simmer for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally. This will bring all the flavors together as well as remove any excess liquid.
- While simmering, prepare your taco shells and any additional toppings you like. I used corn tortillas and toasted them under the boiler on High for 5 minutes to get some crunch!
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: This filling would also work really well atop nachos or great on its own with some tortilla chips on the side. The flavor is also even better the next day!
Interested in more quick weeknight dinner ideas?
Check out my Cashew Vegetable Stir-Fry recipe that takes only 15 minutes!!
Join the Dream Squad
Sign up for my weekly newsletter to receive exclusive dreamer content you won’t find on Dream in Lace straight in your inbox. Let’s be dreamers, together!
Stay stylish and chase your dreams!