Reviewing the Laura Lee makeup brushes — that are (finally) back in stock!!
When the Laura Lee makeup brushes dropped over the summer, I instantly had to have them to review for you here on DreaminLace. Then they sold out – and I felt bad talking about how great they are when you couldn’t pick a set up for yourself. So I sat on this post for a while.
Great news, though! The brush set is officially restocked! This is especially wonderful as we’re heading towards the holiday season and these make for the perfect gift for the beauty lovers on your list. Laura Lee has also revealed her Holiday 2020 makeup releases, so generally speaking — it’s a good time to visit LauraLeeLosAngeles.com.
Laura Lee Makeup Brushes
The Laura Lee makeup brushes are synthetic and cruelty-free with beautiful rose gold hardware. They’re also very affordably priced! The full set, including a matching cosmetic bag, comes to $45 — which is basically a steal.
In addition to being sold as a full set, the brushes are also available individually — fantastic for those like me who like to have multiple blending brushes on hand, etc.
Currently the Laura Lee’s brush collection includes:
- Flat Top Kabuki ($12)
- Tapered Powder Brush ($8)
- Rounded Contour Brush ($8)
- Angled Brush for Blush or Bronzer ($9)
- Highlighter Brush ($8)
- Pencil Brush for Detailing ($5)
- Lid Shader Brush ($5)
- Eyeshadow Blender Brush ($5)
- Oval Shader Brush ($4)
- Eyeliner Brush ($4)
Soft on the Skin
There’s nothing worse than a makeup brush that’s coarse and rough on the skin. Especially for those with a more sensitive complexion, that can be pretty miserable. Fortunately, while synthetic — the Laura Lee makeup brushes have the softness of natural fibre brushes, but without the cruelty.
Do Not Shed
Another makeup brush pet peeve? When you notice stray hairs popping up on your face while doing your makeup in the morning or washing brushes over the weekend. That’s actually the number one downside of lower quality makeup brushes and something I always seek to avoid. Laura Lee’s brushes, though, are quite well made and I’ve had zero issues with fallout. Even after several months of use and putting them through multiple washes, I’ve seen no shedding whatsoever. Fab-u-lous!!
When I first unboxed the Laura Lee makeup brushes – I showed them off on my Instagram story but knew I wanted to give them a few thorough washes before sharing a review. Because sure, while they arrived beautifully — would they hold their shape and quality after washing? That remained to be seen.
Having washed the brushes a number of times now, I’m happy to report they do come out of the wash quite well! I use a coconut milk shampoo that is nourishing as well as gentle on brush hairs, so it’s rather perfect for this set.
If you like, feel free to read up more on how I wash my makeup brushes, here.
OVERVIEWING THE LAURA LEE MAKEUP BRUSHES
L11 FLAT TOP KABUCKI BRUSH:
It came as little surprise to see the Laura Lee makeup brushes include a kabucki brush, given how much she has used kabucki brushes to apply foundation on her YouTube channel. The softness of the brush’s bristles, make for smooth and even application of both liquid and powder foundations.
L14 ANGLED BLUSH/BRONZER BRUSH:
Angled brushes are ones that can basically be used for whatever you like. Laura Lee suggests using this to apply blush or bronzer, which it does work great for! My preference, though? Using the angled brush to apply highligher OR for smoothly applying undereye powder. The brush works perfectly in the contours of the undereye area.
L15 HIGHLIGHTER BRUSH:
As the name suggests, the highlighter brush is recommended for applying highlighter and it does well and truly too a great job at that! It also doubles nicely as a blending brush on the eyes if you want a little extra help smoothing out lines or applying powder in detailed areas.
L13 ROUNDED CONTOUR BRUSH:
Similar to the angled brush, the rounded brush’s shape is wonderful for navigating around the natural contours of the face. It’s excellent at carving out your cheekbones and jawline while applying cream or powder contour.
L12 TAPERED POWDER BRUSH:
The tapered brush is one you can really use however you like. It works for applying setting powder when doing your makeup or touching up throughout the day. It also works beautifully at applying blush to the apples of your cheeks or adding highlighting powder wherever you desire. Definitely another multi-functional brush you can get a lot of us from.
EYESHADOW BRUSHES FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:
- L20 EYELINER BRUSH: This detail brush is made specifically for gel eyeliner and works great for creating that perfect wing or cat-eye look.
- L17 LID SHADER BRUSH: While I wish this brush had a smidge more surface area, it’s great for packing eyeshadow all over the lid. It’s also great for lining your lower lash line with eyeshadow or detail work with concealer, such as with defining your eyebrows.
- L16 PENCIL & DETAIL BRUSH: This is seriously one of my favorite pencil brushes ever. It loads up eyeshadow pigment like a dream and the softness of the bristles make for wonderful application.
- L19 OVAL SHADER BRUSH: I love using this brush in the outer crease of my eye when creating a smokey look or deepening pigment. It’s also fantastic on the lower lash-line, applying neutral shadows all over the lid or highlighting the brow bone. Definitely another multi-functional brush!
- L18 EYESHADOW BLENDER BRUSH: Think of this as an even softer version of the classic MAC 217 brush. It’s fantastic for smoothing out lines and building color up in your crease.
Laura Lee Makeup Brushes Run-Down
- Synthetic and cruelty-free
- Affordably priced
- Perform as well as pricier brush sets, including MAC’s
- Beautiful rose gold design that holds up well through washes
- No shedding or fallout when applying makeup, even after washing
- Soft bristles make for smooth and easy application
- There’s a brush available for everything
- Clean nicely when being washed
- Indie, female-owned business based in the USA
- I would like to see a larger flat shader brush added to the collection.
- Limited availability. While it’s a good problem to have, brushes take a while to restock
OVERALL GRADE: A
As I hoped they would, the Laura Lee makeup brushes definitely get the DreaminLace seal of approval! They really do hold up well through use and multiple washes. They also perform just as well, if not better, than more pricy brushes I have in my collection from MAC, Sigma, etc.
I also really love the rose gold appearance. That’s not something that made me actually purchase the brushes, but I really do enjoy looking at and reaching for them while perched at my vanity every morning.
Be it for yourself or as a gift for someone else, I definitely recommend checking out the brushes on Laura Lee’s website. I really don’t think you’ll be disappointed!!
If interested in more makeup from Laura Lee?
Stay stylish and chase your dreams!