When it comes to least favorite chores, cleaning my makeup brushes falls at the top of the list! I mean, makeup is all fun and games…until your brushes are filthy dirty and require a cleaning. Seriously, what a drag. I literally moan and groan to myself for DAYS leading up to it and then end up reaching for MAC’s brush cleanser because it’s the quickest and easiest thing in the world. Only problem is that it does really dry out my brushes and okay, kinda is not really a cleanser. Low and behold one day I was washing my face per usual with Philosophy’s Purity and it hit me that this do-it-all wonder could very well be the ultimate brush cleanser! And guess what? I was right!
Purity does a pretty bang up job of getting all the gunky makeup out of your brushes. It even passes the ultimate test of cutting through foundation Honestly, I’m not sure how Philosophy does it, but they really have created the most gentle and powerful cleanser in the world. So, here’s how I do it:
How to Clean Your Makeup Brushes Using Purity
- Grab your brushes, a towel and head to the bathroom!
- With luke warm water, I wet the brush. Be sure to keep the brush pointed down as not to get the glue wet, which leads to hairs coming out.
- Put a pea sized amount of Purity in your hand and get swirling! The cleanser breaks up the makeup and it literally comes off in puddles.
- Use running water to cleanse out excess makeup and product.
- Squeeze out any excess water and reshape brush.
- Fold one half of your towel over so you have two heights. Then, dry your brushes angled downward. Voila!
|Before and After!|
I will say, the drying time is definitely longer than when using a spot-treatment cleanser like MAC’s. Eyeshadow brushes do try pretty quickly, but for the heavier face brushes you’ll want to give more time. If you do this in the evening and allow the brushes to dry overnight, you’ll be good to go in the morning! Typically I do this on a Sunday to make Monday morning slightly better with freshly washed makeup brushes. I mean, it may sound lame…but sometimes the fun of putting on makeup is the only thing that gets us going on a Monday, right?
In Conclusion: Washing your makeup brushes with Purity makes washing my makeup brushes suck less! And even though it all still sucks, wouldn’t you want things to be less sucky?
I dare you to try this! And of course, if you’re not already using Philosophy’s Purity you ought to get on that asap. It’s such a great product that works beautifully on its own or when partnered with my BFF the Clarisonic. Try it this weekend and let me know how it goes!