Today is a new day and I’m sharing my 10 commandments of kindness to inspire a better tomorrow.
Today, the world woke up to the outcome of America’s 2016 election and the end of a tumultuous campaign cycle. As a champion of equality and a strong advocate for protecting our environment, a Donald Trump Presidency, Republican controlled Congress and Supreme Court is one very difficult pill for me to swallow. The absence of a balance of power is a very scary reality…and yet, swallow I must.
As a Millennial, I’m disappointed in the turnout from my generation. I’m also heartbroken that the efforts of my peers who worked tirelessly to promote a message of progress and decency, fell short in getting the support it needed to continue the progressive path we believe in.
I think about the dangers of the environment and the depletion of natural resources crucial for our survival.
I think about the minorities, be it religion/ethnicity/sexual orientation, and the civil liberties that are under attack.
I think about the children and their futures. About how we can instill values of decency, acceptance and hope amidst so much political unrest on a planet that’s being systematically destroyed.
I think about each other and the rising walls between us.
I think about how we can tear those walls down, find common ground and work together.
Without question, there is a vicious divide in the United States and around the world. How can we bridge that gap? How can we start to talk to one another, listen to one another and remember to be kind to one another. We need compassion and understanding. How do we get there?
Enacting 10 Commandments of Kindness
Of course, as one person I can’t find the answer for everyone…I can only think about how I personally can do better. While sitting alone this morning, I reflected on my actions and relationships and came up with a list of 10 commandments of kindness that I’m putting into effect for myself. It’s easy to get angry, frustrated and lash out…but that’s not what I want to do. I want to unify, dream and create a better world to live in.
While I’m writing this post for myself, I am sharing my 10 commandments of kindness in hopes of collecting others suggestions. I believe we can work together in creating a kinder and more accepting world.
My 10 Commandments of Kindness
1. I will accept that everyone is entitled to a difference of opinion.
2. I will forgive those that lash out at me and others out of frustration or difference of opinion.
3. I will smile, say thank you and ask with genuine interest how those around me are doing.
4. I will not condemn those who don’t see my point of view, but instead try to understand.
5. I will demonstrate the kindness and acceptance I hope to receive from others.
6. I will volunteer and lend my voice to advancing the causes I believe in.
7. I will peacefully accept those who don’t share my beliefs.
8. I will pay it forward with both small and large acts of kindness, expecting nothing in return.
9. I will choose my words wisely, knowing that words have power and the manner in which we speak to each other is is important.
10. I will be the change I want to see in others and the world.
Thank you so much for reading! As we enter the next chapter in American history, I wanted to take a pause from fashion and beauty to reflect on ways to inspire kindness and compassion. None of us are perfect and we all have room for improvement. What do you think you can do better today?
As always, stay stylish and keep chasing your dreams!